12) When it comes to research into heart disease and its effects on the body，or diseases of the brain for example，we do not have adequate substitutes for the use of animals. (来源：英语杂志 http://www.EnglishCN.com)
When it comes to 当提到 … 的时候
symptom intellectual detail initial inventor confront sensitivity reflection creativity character trace modest investment to substitute … for be contrary to to put off be confronted with to gaze at be unaware of to impress…on be free from be beneficial to
1) At its best，daydreaming was considered a compensatory substitute for the real things in life.
2) There are always those who would substitute fantasy lives for the rewards of real activity.(para.2)
3)Most people suffer from a lack of daydreaming rather than an excess of it. (para.2)
4)Not only are they less able to deal with the pressure of day-to-day existence，but also their self -control and self-direction become endangered. (para.2)
5) But its beneficial effects go beyond this. (para. 3)
Go beyond 表示“超越 …，不仅仅是 … ”
6)Historically，scientists and inventors are one group that seems to take full advantage of relaxed moments.
Take advantage of 利用
7) Whenever confronted with a task which seemed too hard to be dealt with，he would stretch out on his laboratory sofa and let fantasies flood his mind. (para.7)
8) Picture yourself as winning and that will contribute remarkably to success.
The important thing to remember is to picture these desired objectives as if you had already attained them.
compel voluntary undertake coincide manual efficiency compulsion division eliminate boring amusement so far as …knows to coincide with attitude toward to go in for
1) He cannot be really happy if h is compelled by society to do what he does not enjoy doing.
2) Whether a job is to be classified as labor or work depends，not on the job itself，but on the tastes of the individual who undertake it.
3) The difference does not，for example，coincide with the difference between a manual and a mental job.
4) So that it is natural for him to imagine that the fewer hours he has to spend laboring，and the more hours he is free to play，the better.
device compassion grab belonging threatening convince foster persuasion avail suspect profound to convince sb. to do sth. to comment on
1)It was a microcassette found in Kathleen Weinstein's shirt pocket that not only led police to her alleged killer but also revealed the New Jersey teacher to be a woman of extraordinary courage and compassion.
本句是个强调句，另外注意 found 的用法
2) It was there，police believe，that Weinstein was able to activate the recorder she kept in her bag. 本句是强调句。
3) Weinstein's body，with hands and feet bound，was discovered by a hiker on March17.
4) But before she died she somehow slipped the microcassette into her pocket without her killer knowing it.
solely content sensible persist vital logic evaluate raw ultimate functional extension undue concrete conquer error prolong technician proof possess to pull down to mistake…for to distinguish between to come to terms with to end in to reflect on to come about to speculate on
1) Electronic brains can reduce the profusion of dead ends involved in vital research.
2) Nor do they connect a man to the things he has to be connected to - the reality of pain in others.
注意本句的倒装形式。并且注意“ connect … to ”表示“把 … 与 … 连接起来”。
3) The reason these matters are important in a computerized age is that there may be a tendency to mistake data for wisdom.
本句中注意“ tendency ”后面要接动词不定式作定语。另外“ mistake … for ”表示“把 … 错认为 … ”
4) For the danger is not so much that man will be controlled by the computer as that he may imitate it.